Remembering Priscilla McGruder

Remembering Priscilla McGruder

Note to Readers

The stories / posts you read below are submitted by fans of the McGruders to this website. If you've been influenced in any way by the life of Priscilla McGruder, we would love to have you tell us about it. Your story / submission will be posted here just like the rest of these . Please take a few minutes and share your story with other McGruder fans stopping by.

If you would like to submit a specific memory or would like to submit your own tribute to Priscilla that you would like to have posted on this site, please email that submission to "priscillatribute@gmail.com" Your contribution will be posted as soon as possible. As you can see, fan photos are VERY welcome.

The Inspiration

If you could see the bookmark section of my computer, it is overloaded with links that I want to keep so that I can go back and recall the memories of Priscilla McGruder. There are YouTube videos, blog posts, tributes from Beverly McManus, and every other detail you can think of.

I became a fan of the McGruders at the ripe old age of 13. I had heard them on the radio from time to time, but pretty much knew nothing about them. I enjoyed Southern Gospel music, but I wasn't really "into" it, otherwise.

My dad began pastoring a church in southern Georgia and one day after eating with some of our friends, the lady who was the host that day decided to put in one of her Southern Gospel videos. Other than attending a Bishops and Greater Vision concert, I had never really seen any other concerts at that time. From the assortment of videos she had, I chose "Come Fly with the McGruders." From the first song, I was hooked. I took it hook, line, and sinker. That night as I tried to sleep, I couldn't get what I saw out of my head.

It wasn't like that was new to me, because I've been raised in a foot-stomping, Pentecostal church my entire life. It wasn't that the worship style was new. But between Priscilla's voice and the rest of the band, I was just completely taken by it. I had always had a deep appreciation for lower powerful voices. While I enjoy the blend of certain sopranos, I personally preferred lower altos. I was just captivated by Priscilla's voice. Now I know it was more than the voice. It was the Power behind the voice.

That was a little over 17 years ago. After that night of seeing "Come Fly" I became an avid fan of the McGruders. Since that time I've collected every album ever recorded by them - that I'm aware of. I have some of the earlier cassettes before their thrust into the mainstream of Southern Gospel that included my dad's favorite song called "Don't Leave Me Like A Ship." I have also attended as many concerts of theirs as I possibly could. I really don't think I could count them all up......

When I was a young teenager, I completely wore out my turquoise t-shirt with hot pink letters that read, "I'm a McGruder Rooter!" Everyone who knew me knew that I thought Priscilla McGruder helped God hang the moon. I loved her dearly.

I never knew her other than the concerts I attended. I have written a comment on John Lanier's post honoring Priscilla, that she always had such a way about her that made you feel so special. This was part of my comment to John, "Every time I saw her, whether in passing before a concert or at the table, she always hugged me as though we were old friends and made me feel like I owned the world. Her kindness and her warm spirit just made her influence stronger in my life each and every time. There was never a doubt in my mind about how genuine she was. She was definitely the REAL DEAL!"

So, to express my appreciation and love for Priscilla McGruder and to bring together the collection of memories of her success, I have started this site for those who love her as much as I do. Instead of constantly filtering through my bookmark section of websites, I will attempt to bring them together for the fans of the McGruders.

I also want to make sure that I express my appreciation to Bro. Carroll McGruder as well for writing the songs for her to sing. Their teamwork and ministry has impacted my life in ways that words are insufficient to express.

No comments: