Remembering Priscilla McGruder

Remembering Priscilla McGruder

Note to Readers

The stories / posts you read below are submitted by fans of the McGruders to this website. If you've been influenced in any way by the life of Priscilla McGruder, we would love to have you tell us about it. Your story / submission will be posted here just like the rest of these . Please take a few minutes and share your story with other McGruder fans stopping by.

If you would like to submit a specific memory or would like to submit your own tribute to Priscilla that you would like to have posted on this site, please email that submission to "priscillatribute@gmail.com" Your contribution will be posted as soon as possible. As you can see, fan photos are VERY welcome.

Finally At Home

It's routine that every time we crawl in the car, my little 3 year old girl has a request to hear music. As she's buckling her seat belt to her car seat, I hear these words from the back - "Mommy, can you turn on "Goin' Home with Jesus." Of course, I'm always eager to grant such a request! She knows where the words begin and comes right in belting out, "I'M GOIN' HOME WITH JESUS IN THE TWINKLIN' OF AN EYE....." Every time, as loud as she can possibly sing it. I sit in the front seat smiling, sometimes laughing, because she is so "into" that song. Sometimes she gets so excited, I can look in the rearview mirror and see her with her hands raised and that little head swaying from side to side. Last Sunday on the way home from church, she shouted her little bow right out of her hair to it. It always amuses me how much she loves that song.

Last night, we got in the car to come home from somewhere and once again I heard that little request. I started playing it, and heard nothing come from the back seat as "the boys" (as she calls them) started singing. After a little bit into the song, I turned on the light to make sure she was ok back there. She had this look that kinda said something was on her mind. I didn't say anything...just waited. A few seconds later, I heard this little voice from the back. "Mommy, she sure is shoutin' - happy on this song." I laughed and said, "Yep she is." It was quiet for just a second more, and I heard the little voice again. "Mommy, what's she singing about that makes her so happy?" I took a deep breath to regain my composure so I could answer her without breaking out into tears. I explained that she was singing about some day she would go live in Heaven where Jesus lives. And thinking about living where Jesus is, makes her happy.

Satisfied with that answer, she cheerfully replied, "Oh, OK!" I was still sitting up in the front seat trying to process how her little nature had realized the expression / anointing of Priscilla's voice. After I was past the shock of the conversation we'd just had, the thought ran through my mind, "Baby Girl, if you thought she was happy on that song, you should hear her now! I would give anything if I could!"

No comments: