Remembering Priscilla McGruder

Remembering Priscilla McGruder

Note to Readers

The stories / posts you read below are submitted by fans of the McGruders to this website. If you've been influenced in any way by the life of Priscilla McGruder, we would love to have you tell us about it. Your story / submission will be posted here just like the rest of these . Please take a few minutes and share your story with other McGruder fans stopping by.

If you would like to submit a specific memory or would like to submit your own tribute to Priscilla that you would like to have posted on this site, please email that submission to "priscillatribute@gmail.com" Your contribution will be posted as soon as possible. As you can see, fan photos are VERY welcome.

Do You Have a Favorite?

In studying different Southern Gospel blogs and writers - there has been plenty to say about McGruder music. It's almost humorous at times to read some of the attempts to describe the music that was given to us by the McGruders. They didn't fit the mold of any other group that had ever hit the stage, and truthfully, allowed some people to enter realms of spirituality that they either had never experienced or never knew it existed. I have found myself smiling more than once at the attempts of explanations given to the "McGruder style." Of course there's usually always the mention of the talents of the unbelievably awesome band during their live recordings.

Instead of attempting to understand the music, it is much better to experience the music. There have been multiple occasions in life's battles, that the gift of a song has offered strength and began the march to victory. For my own experiences, most of those songs have involved the voice of Priscilla McGruder. As much as I love some of their most famous songs, such as "Going Home with Jesus," "Warmin' Up," "Saved by Grace," "Way too Close," "To Me He's Become Everything"......and the list goes on and on, I have a list of personal favorites that have ministered to me and have become "my song" in the wee hours of the morning when peace wanted to evade me.

Even with the talk about all of the great songs listed above, there are many songs that are on my list of personal favorites and I feel sure are on the list of other fans as favorites. The songs that cross my mind along this line are, "Most of All," "From Heaven's Point of View," "Stand on the Word," "We Have a Savior," "One Prayer Away," "Jesus Please Touch Me Again," "Vessel of Honor," "His Grace is Sufficient," "My Faith Stands Firm," "Devil, You Can't Have my Faith," "Since He Gave My Life a New Start," "Heaven Too," "Change Me Lord," "Under the Blood, You'll Get Over the Storm," "The Finish Line,""The Lamb is No Stanger," "I've Made Up My Mind," "A Great Homecoming," "God's Word Cannot Fail," "Grace For the Race," "Certain Feeling," and I could go on and on. And I still haven't covered all of my favorites.......

So with that being said, I'd like to open this particular post up to figuring out what your favorite song is. If you'll click below on the "comment" link, it will easily let you type in the song that you love. If you've never heard some of the songs listed, you may also comment on that and I'll let you know which album you can find it on.

4 comments:

Gregg said...

I have several "favorites" as well when it comes to "experiencing" the music...let me tell you of one such "experience"...

It was probably early 90s in Waycross, GA when they really had "all-nite" sings. Me, my brother (your husband) and a friend that shall remain nameless decided to walk across the four lane that ran by the stadium while one of our "not so favorite" groups sang and get a waffle. The McGruders were not supposed to be on until later in the program and if truth be known that was the main reason for us coming. We made our way over and was almost finished with our culinary delight when the door swung open and someone screamed "THE MCGRUDERS ARE ON!!!!" Without our permission or knowledge they had switched the program up and we had missed the McGruders, or almost! We heard the electric guitar through the night air, kick off that unmistakable lick for "Warmin Up" and we tore out of Waffle House, throwing our money on the counter in our haste leaving a bewildered, heavily tipped waitress standing there.

We crossed four lanes of traffic ( I would say "dodged" four lanes, but we never looked, I guess either the cars or God (probably both) were looking out for us)...We ran through the back gate and up to the bottom of the stage just as Carroll screamed..."God Bless You" "Good Night"...or something like that...

But alas, as was always the case, the crowd screamed and screamed until the did an encore or two and left us in a tizzy...

I will always remember that concert and that moment. The thing that people can't put into words about the McGruders has to do with them believing every word they sang. No one every questioned whether it was "ministry" or "entertainment". It was both. It was entertaining to watch them minister and a blessing to your soul at the same time. I wish we had more like them.

As far as Priscilla goes. She was the one that brought class and validity to what they sang and stood for. One look at her sing one verse and you knew she believed and lived what she sang. Carroll of course did the same but something about her made you realize they were the real deal.

Wish she was still here...

Barb (Mom) said...

I don't know what it is about this site . . . every time I get on to see if it's been updated, I end up crying! Guess I do know the reason, all of our hearts are missing someone we so seldom even saw. But we knew she was present, doing what she did best. Pouring every ounce of her spirit into every song she sang. How thrilled she must be to be singing in the presence of the ONE she so often sang about! Just the thought urges my heart to press on.

You're doing a great job with this site, Anita.

Anonymous said...

Heaven's Point of View has to be my favorite song although there are plenty more that are extremely special. I can't explain what Sister McGruder's voice does to me: her music touches me like nothing I've ever experienced. Wish with all my heart I could have met her!

Unknown said...

I have 2 favorites and I listen to them every night before I go to bed, they are "Under The Blood, You'll Get Over The Storm" and "Most Of All". Like Annonymous, I sure wish I could have met her!